Board of Trustees
President - Andrea D. McPherson
President Emeritus - Lillie Ham-Hendry
Vice President - Trena Parks -Bradley
Treasurer - Joseph Aird, CPA
Secretary - Kyle Warren
The Court Street School is one of the principal structures associated with the segregated history of early twentieth century education for African Americans in Freehold, New Jersey. The original school was organized in 1915, exclusively for the education of African American children by the Freehold Board of Education. It was a one-room wooden building located just west of the present site. The existing school was constructed in two phases in 1920 and 1926. All African-American children in Freehold were educated at Court Street School from kindergarten through eighth grade until World War II, when the school was used as an air raid shelter and a ration station. Under pressure from war veterans, a court order integrated the school and it reopened for kindergarten through third grade in 1949. The school finally closed in 1974. In 1990, the Court Street School Education Community Center, Inc. was formed as a non-profit, tax-exempt organization to restore the school for use as an Education Community Center and to preserve it as an African-American historic landmark. The group received more than $800,000 from the New Jersey Historic Trust and the Monmouth County Board of Freeholders to restore the facility. In 1995, the building became an official historic site in the state of NJ, and was placed on the National Register of Historic Sites. The school now operates as a community education and historical center. .
To preserve the structure of the Court Street Schoolhouse as a historical viable community based educational center.
To work in collaboration with other groups, organizations, institutions and individuals to provide supportive services to all in the community.
To work with families and schools to enhance educational development opportunities for the personal growth of all people.
To provide educational, multi-cultural and historic activities to all in the community.
To inspire hope to all children and their families.